Volunteer services are vital to our mission of delivering patient-centered care and ensuring that every person who enters our doors has a positive experience.
Our 2,500 volunteers provide patients, hospital departments and staff with capable and dedicated service, contributing almost 287,000 hours annually.
Reasons to Volunteer
While your generous gift of time helps others feel relaxed and welcome, it also benefits you in many ways. Northwestern Medicine volunteers have the opportunity to:
- Share skills and talents with others
- Discover new interests
- Feel valued and needed
- Gain new perspectives and experiences
- Learn additional skills
- Meet new people
Along with the many personal benefits, Northwestern Medicine volunteers also receive free annual flu vaccines, invitations to events and discounts at participating retailers.
Northwestern Medicine volunteers provide many services—from mail and newspaper delivery to staff support, directional services and working in our gift shops.
Whatever your interest, you will find a wide range of volunteer opportunities across the Northwestern Medicine health system.
How Does the Application Process Work?
After you submit your application, you will immediately receive an email confirming our receipt of your application. Your application will be reviewed, and then you will be invited to interview with members of the Volunteer Services Department. Through your interview, you will learn about the steps necessary to begin volunteering. Everyone in the Department of Volunteer Services works hard to match your and other applicants’ interests and abilities to Northwestern Medicine departmental needs. It should be noted that applying to the volunteer program and attending the volunteer orientation at Northwestern Medicine does not automatically guarantee acceptance and/or placement into the program. Placing volunteers is an intricate process involving many variables, which we take into careful consideration.
- Must be at least 16 years of age (18 years of age at Northwestern Memorial Hospital)
- Pass criminal background check if 18 years of age or older
- Agree to six-month commitment of at least three to four hours per week* (varies by role/location)
- Attend hospital orientation for new volunteers
- Provide immunization records for or undergo immunization screenings for:
- Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR)
- Chickenpox (Varicella)
- Tetanus (Tdap)
- Others as needed
- Undergo a TB test
- Receive a flu shot if volunteering during flu season
- Read and comply with Northwestern Medicine policies, such as code of conduct, privacy laws and dress code
- Obtain hospital identification badge and uniform (at no cost to the volunteer)
- Complete on-the-job training for assigned volunteer service
*Teens and college students interested in summer-only service must submit an application by May 1, 2020, and attend an orientation before the end of May 2020. Summer-only volunteers must commit to volunteering one day a week for eight weeks between May and August. Please note: At this time, summer service is not available at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Evanston Immediate Care Center, Kishwaukee Hospital or Valley West Hospital.
- Flu shots at no charge
- Interaction with community-minded, service-oriented people
- Annual awards event and program in recognition of your service to Northwestern Medicine
- Enjoyment and personal growth
- Building social connections with others of all backgrounds
If you have questions or would like to speak with someone in the volunteer office, please contact us at:
Central DuPage Hospital Volunteer Services Office, Winfield
Delnor Hospital Volunteer Services Office, Geneva
Evanston Immediate Care Center Volunteer Services Office, Evanston
Glenview Outpatient Center Volunteer Services Office, Glenview
Grayslake Outpatient Center Volunteer Services Office, Grayslake
Huntley Hospital Volunteer Services Office, Huntley
Kishwaukee Hospital Volunteer Services Office, DeKalb
815.756.1521 ext. 153372
LivingWell Cancer Resource Center Volunteer Services Office, Geneva
Lake Forest Hospital Volunteer Services Office, Lake Forest
Marianjoy Rehabilitation Hospital Volunteer Services Office, Wheaton
McHenry Hospital Volunteer Services Office, McHenry
Northwestern Memorial Hospital Volunteer Services Office, Chicago
Valley West Hospital Volunteer Services Office, Sandwich
Woodstock Hospital Volunteer Services Office, Woodstock