Donate to Pediatric Rheumatology Research, Patient Care and Education
Pediatric rheumatology is the study of musculoskeletal disorders and systemic autoimmune system conditions in children. Young people with rheumatic diseases may experience a range of symptoms, such as swollen, painful or stiff joints; skin rashes; weak muscles; fevers; and swollen glands. Rheumatic diseases also can result in growth problems and other challenges that affect a child’s quality of life.
Because every child is affected uniquely by a rheumatic illness, the diagnostic and treatment processes can be quite challenging. At Northwestern Medicine, specialists in pediatric rheumatology are committed to providing state-of-the-art diagnostic testing, as well as the best treatment available, to ease symptoms of rheumatic diseases in children. By making a donation to Northwestern Memorial Foundation, you will provide crucial support to these specialists and to the children and families who benefit from their care.
At Northwestern Medicine, exceptional care is provided to children with a variety of rheumatic disorders, including:
- Juvenile arthritis: the lining of one or more of the child’s joints are inflamed
- Dermatomyositis: a rare disease that causes muscle inflammation and skin rash
- Henoch-Schonlein Purpura: a condition that involves inflammation of small blood vessels
- Raynaud’s phenomenon: spasms of blood vessels that decrease blood flow to the fingers
- Scleroderma: a chronic disease that causes abnormal growth of connective tissue.
- Systemic lupus erythematosus: a disease that causes the immune system to attack its own cells and tissues
- Takayasu’s arteries: a rare disease affecting the blood vessels in the aorta
- Wegener’s granulomatosis: an autoimmune disorder that causes inflammation and swelling in blood vessels and other tissues
When delivering care to children affected by these and other rheumatic diseases, Northwestern Medicine’s pediatric rheumatologists and other care providers use a multidisciplinary approach, emphasizing the importance of providing compassionate care in a child-friendly environment. Team members include:
- Board-certified specialists in pediatrics and rheumatology
- Registered nurses
- Child psychologists
Pediatric Rheumatology Research, Patient Care and Education Donation
Physicians and scientists at Northwestern Medicine are intently focused on advancing research and treatment in the area of pediatric rheumatology. Further understanding and new knowledge will allow scientists to develop life-changing treatments that will bring relief to many children affected by rheumatic disorders. By donating to Northwestern Memorial Foundation, you will help to ensure that Northwestern Medicine will remain on the leading edge of pediatric rheumatology-related research and care. Your generosity will touch the lives of many children and families.