Donate to Narcolepsy Research, Patient Care and Education
Narcolepsy is a severe neurological disorder that interferes with the body’s natural wake-sleep cycle. This disorder causes people to experience overwhelming fatigue and sudden sleep attacks during typical waking hours, while also causing disrupted or fragmented sleep at night. Other symptoms may include:
- Falling asleep at inappropriate times (for example, while driving, working, eating, or talking)
- Cataplexy (sudden limpness of the body, buckling of knees, and loss of motor control)
- Sleep Paralysis
- Hypnagogic Hallucinations (experiencing vivid hallucinatory sensations while falling asleep or waking up)
- Constant and excessive sleepiness
Currently, there is no known cure for narcolepsy. However, thanks to the generous support from donors to Northwestern Memorial Foundation, scientists at Northwestern Medicine are working toward discovering new and highly effective treatments for this disorder.
About one in 2,000 people experience some form of narcolepsy. While the definitive cause of this disorder is still unknown, recent research has revealed many individuals struggling with narcolepsy are deficient in hypocretin, a vital neurotransmitter that regulates sleep, wakefulness and appetite.
At Northwestern Medicine Sleep Health Centers, we employ advanced techniques to resolve sleep issues and to treat narcolepsy. Northwestern Medicine is leading the charge in narcolepsy research and treatment; few other medical systems in Illinois have facilities dedicated to the study and resolution of sleep issues. Northwestern Medicine’s Sleep Centers have earned accreditation from the American Academy of Sleep Medicine accreditation, and, by making a contribution to Northwestern Memorial Foundation, you will give our Sleep Centers the support they need to continue resolving narcolepsy efficiently and skillfully.
Your donation will not only help Northwestern Medicine scientists to continue vital research, but it also will support our multidisciplinary team in its efforts to provide personalized treatment to patients with narcolepsy. These plans may include:
- Advanced diagnostic testing
- Medications, like stimulants to help individuals stay awake during the day and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors to treat narcolepsy symptoms including cataplexy, hallucinations and sleep paralysis
- Lifestyle coaching: Our sleep specialists can help patients to develop an individualized lifestyle plan which often includes establishing a consistent sleep schedule, planned nap-times throughout the day, regular exercise plans and more.
- Narcolepsy support groups
Narcolepsy Research, Patient Care and Education Donation
A contribution to Northwestern Memorial Foundation is an act of service to those suffering from narcolepsy. Your donation will help Northwestern Medicine to continue to be a leader in providing more restful, fulfilling lives for those with sleep disorders. Your philanthropy matters! Please make a donation to Northwestern Memorial Foundation today.